Rules and Conditions of Entry
- The competition is open to any person from any country. You do not have to be an RPS Member to enter.
- The competition is free to enter.
- There are three age categories: Aged 17 and Under, Aged 18 – 25, and Aged 26 and Over. You may only enter the category for the age that you will be at Midnight on 20th April 2017. If you are aged 17 or under by entering you are confirming that you have the permission of your parent or guardian to do so.
- There is no limit on the number of entries. Entries must be made only through the RPS science website (rps-science.org), as explained in Entry Instructions under Exhibition Information.
- Images must be the sole work of the entrant.
- Digital manipulation by software such as Photoshop is allowed, provided the scientific authenticity of the image is not altered in the process. After judging, entrants may be contacted to verify the quality and authenticity of their original image file.
- The RPS reserves the right to exclude images at its discretion.
- The RPS may retain the exhibition in its archive for future exhibitions.
- Employees and their immediate family of The RPS, Siemens and associated companies are not eligible to enter the competition.
- All entries must be received by Midnight GMT Sunday 30th April 2017.
- The selectors’ decisions are final. No correspondence will be entered in to over the selection.
- Selected photographers must provide high-resolution files for use by the RPS and the Sponsor, to make exhibition prints and to promote the exhibition. The Society reserves the right to substitute any images if they are not provided within 14 days after the photographer is contacted with such a request.
Five special prizes will be awarded to images from among the 100 chosen for exhibition:
- Aged 26 and Over, Gold Award: £1000 cheque + RPS Gold Medal
- Aged 26 and Over, Silver Award: £500 cheque + RPS Silver Medal
- Aged 26 and Over, Bronze Award: £250 cheque + RPS Bronze Medal
- Aged 18 – 25 Category Winner: £750 cheque + RPS Gold Medal
- Aged 17 and Under Category Winner: £500 towards photography equipment paid directly + RPS Gold Medal
- If a prize winner cannot be contacted within 7 days of the selection, The Society, in consultation with the selectors, may allocate the prize to another entrant.
- Cash prizes will be provided by cheque, and they will not be transferable. If an award winner is not a UK resident the RPS will make a wire transfer of the cash prize to the award winner's nominated bank account. The award winner will be responsible for any commission and bank fees associated with this.
- The Aged 17 and Under prize will be awarded either in the form of a store voucher of the award winner's choice, or by settlement of an invoice for photographic equipment in the name of the award winner up to the value of the stated prize. For the avoidance of doubt, the prize offered may be used in part payment of equipment. There is no cash alternative for any unused part of the prize money.
- The RPS and the Sponsor will hold and process personal information supplied by the entrant, in relation to The Society, the competition or the Sponsor's Curiosity Project. Your name will be made public to attribute any images you submit which are selected.
- The RPS will not pass on your email address to any third party.
- Your data will be handled in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
Copyright and Reproduction
- By entering an image into the competition you warrant that the image is your own original work and does not infringe any copyright or other intellectual property right of any third party.
- If the copyright or other intellectual property rights of any third party are infringed by any image provided by an entrant, then the entrant will indemnify and hold harmless The RPS and the Sponsor against any claim for any losses arising as a result of such infringement. The Royal Photographic Society accepts no liability for any breach of copyright by an entrant.
- The copyright of all entries remains with the respective photographers.
- The photographer will be credited if the image is used by The RPS or the Headline Sponsor, Siemens.
- The RPS shall be entitled to reproduce after entry and for a period of 4 years from 30th April 2017, without payment, any images for publicity and promotional purposes in connection with the competition and The RPS’s activities, including within The RPS Journal and website.
- The RPS shall be entitled to reproduce after entry and for a period of 4 years from 30th April 2017, without payment, any images used on merchandise to promote the competition and exhibition.
- The headline Sponsor, Siemens, reserves the right to use the selected images for a period of 4 years, without payment, i) in connection with its sponsorship of the Competition, the Exhibition and the Society and also (ii) in connection with its other education and outreach activities (and those of other members of the Siemens Group). Such use may be on the Internet, in tangible form, and in any other form or format.
- You hereby grants a licence to the RPS and the Sponsor to use the images as defined here.
Acceptance of Rules and Conditions of Entry
- Submission of any entry constitutes acceptance of the Competition Terms and Conditions.
- The RPS reserves the right at its sole discretion to amend the Competition Terms and Conditions, withdraw the competition or make changes to the timetable or other aspects of the competition by giving notice on its website (rps.org).